Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics
Telephone: (850) 644-7636
Take a look at our Youtube Channel for lectures interviews with past guests.
Graduate students Bryan Koller and Dean Rosenthal have the privilege of interning with France terre d'Asile this summer in France.
The winners for the Winthrop-King Institute's Undergraduate Study Abroad Scholarships have been selected. Congratulations to all the winners!
Supported by a generous bequest from the late Mrs. Ada Belle Winthrop-King, Florida State University's Winthrop-King Institute for Contemporary French and Francophone Studies is a center for interdisciplinary scholarship on France and the French-speaking world. Through its program of distinguished guest speakers, visiting professors and conferences, together with undergraduate and graduate awards, the Institute offers outstanding opportunities for students, scholars and researchers who share the passion of Mrs. Winthrop-King for France, its civilization and language, and the wider French-speaking world.
Our main areas of activity
- Organizing conferences on French and Francophone studies
- Publishing journals and books that draw on work presented at our conferences
- Offering scholarships to undergraduate students in the department of Modern Languages for study abroad programs
- Offering travel awards to graduate students in the department of Modern Languages and Linguistics to support both conference and research travel
- Providing teaching enhancements to qualified Graduate Teaching Assistants in the department of Modern Languages and Linguistics
- About Us
- Stars and Strife Conference
- The Performance of Pan-Africanism Conference
- Film Screening and Q&A with Kivu Ruhor...
- Spatial Planning and the Visualization of...
- American Occupations Symposium
- Looking for the Stranger: Albert Camus and...
- Reorienting Cultural Flows; France and Asia
- Raoul Peck
- Edwige Tamalet Talbayev
- La Floride française: Florida, France, and...
- Edwige Danticat
- States of Waste
- Gary Victor
- Aimé Césaire Centenary
- Cosmopolitan Contexts
- Haiti in a Globalized Frame
- Maryse Condé, Une Voix Singulière
- Valerie Osouf
- Newton I. Aduaka
- Asylum-Seekers in France
- Fifty Years of the Algerian War in Comics
- Sarkozy’s France, 2007-2012
- To "Africa" with Aimé Césaire
- Franco-Maghrebi Crossings Brassages franco...
- Franco-American Crossings
- Brett Bowles
- Haiti 2011
- France Terre d’Asile
- Camus Today
- The Francophone Caribbean and North America
- Trans-Mediterranean Satellite TV: France a...
- Francophone African Cinema
- Surrealist Ghostliness in Pierre Alechinsky
- Littérature-monde: New Wave or New Hype?
- The Emergence of "French Blacks"
- Mai 68 dans les médias
- Edouard Glissant and Caribbean Space
- Film screening and Q&A with director M...
- Phil Watts
- The Fifth Republic at Fifty: France 1958-2008
- Laurence Fradin
- Rethinking French Intellectuals
- Azouz Begag: Lessons from Government
- Reading Les Fleurs du Mal Today
- George Sand et l’idéalisme
- France and the Challenge of Diversity
- Film, Human Rights and Justice
- Boundaries and Limits of Postcolonialism:...
- Reception in Honor of Winthrop-King Instit...
- Alfred Jarry ou le génie dévoyé
- The weight of France's colonial past on im...
- George Sand et l'institution littéraire
- Alimentation générale
- Praising the Past: Novelty and Nostalgia i...
- French and American Writers at Florida State
- Beckett at 100: New Perspectives
- Camping à la ferme (Country Meets Hood)
- Azouz Begag, French Minister for Equal Opp...
- Politics and Religion in France and the Un...
- Can Perec Nod – or Not?
- Trans-Atlantic Relations Today: France, Eu...
- Cold War France and America: New Perspectives
- Joan of Arc: Left, Right and Center
- Textual Ownership in Francophone African W...
- Terror and Fundamentalism
- Film and History in France
- Diversity and Difference in France and the...
- Access and Accountability in French and U....
- Reading “Race” in French Studies
- Simone Weil and Colonialism
- La France Actuelle
- French Government Ceremony Honoring Winthr...
- Cultural Memory in France: Margins and Cen...
- Vichy on Trial: History, Memory and Human...
- Paris in the Age of Impressionism
- New Writing in France and America
- Algerian Writers Against Terrorism
- The Art of Translation
- French and U.S. Anti-Discrimination Policy...
- France and Algeria, 1962-2002: Turning the...
- Thomas Gilou
- Azouz Begag from A to Z
- Inaugural Lecture of the Winthrop-King Ins...
- High School Travel Award
- Undergraduate Scholarships
- Graduate Awards
- Summer Doctoral Fellowship
- Faculty Awards
- View Our Brochure
- Expressions Maghrébines
- French Division
- Modern Languages French Faculty