La Floride française: Florida, France, and the Francophone World
Pour accéder aux informations en français,cliquez ici
|Program||Registration||Conference Hotel||Tallahassee||FSU Campus Map|
The Winthrop-King Institute for Contemporary French and Francophone Studies and the Institute on Napoleon and the French Revolution at Florida State University will host an International Conference 20-21 February, 2014 on the place of French and Francophone culture in Florida. The conference, involving scholars on both sides of the Atlantic, will be open to the public and will run for 2 days as part of the continuing celebration of the 450th anniversary of French heritage in Florida.
|Jane Landers, Vanderbilt University|
|Frank Lestringant, University of Paris-Sorbonne|
|Michael Wintroub, University of California, Berkeley|
|TD Allman, Journalist and Author|
- The French presence in Florida, from the founding of Fort Caroline at Jacksonville in the 16th century to the founding of “French Town in Tallahassee” on the lands of the Marquis de Lafayette to more recent French excursions.
- The image of Florida and its peoples in the French imagination from “la nouvelle France” of the 16th century to the romantic visions of Chateaubriand, Jules Vernes and beyond.
- The presence of celebrated French in Florida, including Achille Murat, the nephew of Napoleon I, and Jean-Jacques Audubon, the French-American illustrator of birds.
- The on-going and vibrant role of Haitian and Francophone peoples in Florida with their historical legacies to the French empire in the New World and Caribbean
- Florida in French and Francophone film and literature
- Florida and visual art from France and the Francophone Caribbean
For further information, please contact the organizers:
Martin Munro, Dept. of French, FSU (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Darrin McMahon, Dept. of History, FSU (email@example.com)
François Dupuisgrenet-Desrousilles, Dept. of Religion, FSU
- About Us
- Stars and Strife Conference
- The Performance of Pan-Africanism Conference
- Film Screening and Q&A with Kivu Ruhor...
- Edward Welch
- American Occupations Symposium
- Looking for the Stranger: Albert Camus and...
- Reorienting Cultural Flows; France and Asia
- Raoul Peck
- Edwige Tamalet Talbayev
- La Floride française: Florida, France, and...
- Edwige Danticat
- States of Waste
- Gary Victor
- Aimé Césaire Centenary
- Cosmopolitan Contexts
- Haiti in a Globalized Frame
- Maryse Condé, Une Voix Singulière
- Valerie Osouf
- Newton I. Aduaka
- Asylum-Seekers in France
- Fifty Years of the Algerian War in Comics
- Sarkozy’s France, 2007-2012
- To "Africa" with Aimé Césaire
- Franco-Maghrebi Crossings Brassages franco...
- Franco-American Crossings
- Brett Bowles
- Haiti 2011
- France Terre d’Asile
- Camus Today
- The Francophone Caribbean and North America
- Trans-Mediterranean Satellite TV: France a...
- Francophone African Cinema
- Surrealist Ghostliness in Pierre Alechinsky
- Littérature-monde: New Wave or New Hype?
- The Emergence of "French Blacks"
- Mai 68 dans les médias
- Edouard Glissant and Caribbean Space
- Film screening and Q&A with director M...
- Phil Watts
- The Fifth Republic at Fifty: France 1958-2008
- Laurence Fradin
- Rethinking French Intellectuals
- Azouz Begag: Lessons from Government
- Reading Les Fleurs du Mal Today
- George Sand et l’idéalisme
- France and the Challenge of Diversity
- Film, Human Rights and Justice
- Boundaries and Limits of Postcolonialism:...
- Reception in Honor of Winthrop-King Instit...
- Alfred Jarry ou le génie dévoyé
- The weight of France's colonial past on im...
- George Sand et l'institution littéraire
- Alimentation générale
- Praising the Past: Novelty and Nostalgia i...
- French and American Writers at Florida State
- Beckett at 100: New Perspectives
- Camping à la ferme (Country Meets Hood)
- Azouz Begag, French Minister for Equal Opp...
- Politics and Religion in France and the Un...
- Can Perec Nod – or Not?
- Trans-Atlantic Relations Today: France, Eu...
- Cold War France and America: New Perspectives
- Joan of Arc: Left, Right and Center
- Textual Ownership in Francophone African W...
- Terror and Fundamentalism
- Film and History in France
- Diversity and Difference in France and the...
- Access and Accountability in French and U....
- Reading “Race” in French Studies
- Simone Weil and Colonialism
- La France Actuelle
- French Government Ceremony Honoring Winthr...
- Cultural Memory in France: Margins and Cen...
- Vichy on Trial: History, Memory and Human...
- Paris in the Age of Impressionism
- New Writing in France and America
- Algerian Writers Against Terrorism
- The Art of Translation
- French and U.S. Anti-Discrimination Policy...
- France and Algeria, 1962-2002: Turning the...
- Thomas Gilou
- Azouz Begag from A to Z
- Inaugural Lecture of the Winthrop-King Ins...
- High School Travel Award
- Undergraduate Scholarships
- Graduate Awards
- Summer Doctoral Fellowship
- Faculty Awards
- Expressions Maghrébines
- View Our Brochure
- French Division
- Modern Languages French Faculty