Ada Belle Winthrop-King Scholarships
UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP IN CHINESE, SUMMER 2019-2020
THIS APPLICATION IS CURRENTLY CLOSED
AIMS AND CONDITIONS GOVERNING THIS AWARD
The purpose of the Ada Belle Winthrop-King Undergraduate Summer Semester Scholarship in Chinese is to provide an opportunity for an undergraduate student at Florida State University to facilitate study on FSU's Chinese Program in Tianjin, China, in order to increase his or her knowledge of Chinese language and culture.
The award is valued at $6,000. Previous study or travel in a Chinese-speaking country will not make the applicant ineligible. The scholarship is repeatable. To be eligible for an award, applicants must have a declared major in Chinese, a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in Chinese and must have completed two courses in Chinese at FSU on and above CHI2200 by no later than the end of the semester in which the application is made.
GENERAL CONDITIONS AND PROCEDURES GOVERNING WINTHROP-KING AWARDS
- All applicants for Winthrop-King awards must apply separately for admission to their intended program of study abroad. Admissions deadlines and procedures are administered by the organizing body of the study abroad program, for which the Winthrop-King Fund has no responsibility.
- All Winthrop-King awards are subject to the availability of funds. Awards are made for future study in the semester specified in the application; they may not be made for current or past semesters nor for a semester prior to that following the semester in which application results are announced. Awards are made for the specified semester and may not be deferred until a later date. Awards cannot be taken up after graduation from FSU. Successful applicants who are unable to attend the program for which they are awarded funds must repay the award within 7 days of the commencement of the program.
- Awards will not be granted for study on programs which FSU prohibits or discourages its students from attending, e.g. on the grounds of U.S. State Department travel warnings; awards may be withdrawn at any time on the grounds of revised FSU advice or prohibition.
- If you receive federal or state financial aid, these awards may affect your entitlement. You are advised to check with the Office of Financial Aid before applying for one of these awards.
- It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all necessary information, including a valid e-mail address, is entered correctly on the online application portal.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered by the Scholarship Committee.
- Awards are made at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee, taking into account all the information provided on the application form. The Committee's decision is final. If the Committee so determines, no award will be made.
- Candidates will be notified of the outcome of their applications by e-mail in January 2020. The Committee does not provide any additional feedback to candidates.
In view of the large number of applicants, the notification process may take several days and candidates should not be concerned if some applicants receive notification before others.
- Candidates are responsible for supplying a valid e-mail address in their application and for checking their e-mail account for messages.
- Under FSU and federal regulations, funds cannot be disbursed to recipients before the week after Drop-Add in the semester for which the scholarship is awarded, and not until later in the case of recipients studying on a program administered by a U.S. university other than FSU. If you expect to incur expenditures (e.g. in respect of the purchase of airline tickets or course fees) prior to the disbursement of the award, you will be responsible for making such payments at the time they are due; scholarship funds cannot be disbursed in advance of the time frame indicated above.
- Recipients of Winthrop-King Awards are required to attend the Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics Honors Night held in April.
- The Florida State University (University) is an equal opportunity employer and educational provider committed to a policy of non-discrimination for any member of the University’s community on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, veterans’ or marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other protected group status. This policy applies to faculty, staff, students, visitors, applicants, and contractors in a manner consistent with applicable federal and state laws, regulations, ordinances, orders and rules, and University policies, procedures, and processes.
- As this scholarship is for study on a program administered by FSU International program (IP), the winner of the scholarship must register on the IP program within one week of notification of the award and pay the $100 non-refundable registration fee. Failure to register by the due date will result in cancellation of the award.
- Award recipients should note that IP program fees do not include airlines fares or reservations, which are the responsibility of the student.
- For scholarship recipients who have completed all the necessary formalities by the due dates, awards are made available by FSU Student Financial Services the week after Drop-Add in the semester of the award after deduction of any balances owed by the student to the University.
HOW TO APPLY
- Visit the FS4U website at
- Sign in using the button in the upper right corner
- Complete the General Application and the College of Arts and Sciences Application
- After submitting both applications, please access the below link for the enhancement scholarship and submit your application:
The deadline to submit your application is October 10, 2019
If you have any questions about Winthrop-King awards, undergraduates should address these in the first instance to email@example.com.