Ada Belle Winthrop-King Scholarship
UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP IN PORTUGUESE, SUMMER 2019-2020
THIS APPLICATION IS OPEN FROM SEPTEMBER 10, 2019
TO OCTOBER 10, 2019
AIMS AND CONDITIONS GOVERNING THIS AWARD
The purpose of the Ada Belle Winthrop-King Undergraduate Summer Semester Scholarship in Portuguese is to provide an opportunity for an undergraduate student at Florida State University to facilitate study during the overseas summer Portuguese program approved by Portuguese coordinator, Dr. Peggy Sharpe.
The scholarship is valued at $6,000. Previous study or travel in a Portuguese-speaking country will not make the applicant ineligible. The scholarship is repeatable. To be eligible for an award, applicants must have a declared major in Portuguese, a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in Portuguese and must have completed two Portuguese courses at the 2000 level or above by no later than the end of the spring semester preceding the summer semester for which the award is made.
GENERAL CONDITIONS AND PROCEDURES GOVERNING WINTHROP-KING AWARDS
- All applicants for Winthrop-King awards must apply separately for admission to their intended program of study abroad. Admissions deadlines and procedures are administered by the organizing body of the study abroad program, for which the Winthrop-King Fund has no responsibility.
- All Winthrop-King awards are subject to the availability of funds.
- Awards are made for future study in the semester specified in the application; they may not be made for current or past semesters nor for a semester prior to that following the semester in which application results are announced.
- Awards are made for the specified semester and may not be deferred until a later date.
- Awards cannot be taken up after graduation from FSU.
- Successful applicants who are unable to attend the program for which they are awarded funds must repay the award within 7 days of the commencement of the program.
- Awards will not be granted for study on programs which FSU prohibits or discourages its students from attending, e.g. on the grounds of U.S. State Department travel warnings; awards may be withdrawn at any time on the grounds of revised FSU advice or prohibition.
- If you receive federal or state financial aid, these awards may affect your entitlement. You are advised to check with the Office of Financial Aid before applying for one of these awards.
- It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all necessary information, including a valid e-mail address, is entered correctly on the online application portal.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered by the Scholarship Committee.
- Awards are made at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee, taking into account all the information provided on the application form. The Committee's decision is final.
- Candidates will be notified of the outcome of their applications by e-mail in January 2020. The Committee does not provide any additional feedback to candidates.
- In view of the large number of applicants, the notification process may take several days, and candidates should not be concerned if some applicants receive notification before others.
- Candidates are responsible for supplying a valid e-mail address in their application and for checking their e-mail account for messages.
- Funds cannot be disbursed to until the week after drop/add of summer semester. If you expect to incur expenditures (e.g., in respect of the purchase of airline tickets or course fees) prior to the disbursement of the award, you will be responsible for making such payments at the time they are due; scholarship funds cannot be disbursed in advance of the time frame indicated above.
- Recipients of Winthrop-King Awards are required to attend the Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics Honors Night held in April.
- As this scholarship is for study in a program administered by a university other than FSU, applicants should note that under FSU regulations,credits transferred from another U.S. university cannot be included in their last 30 credits prior to graduation. Applicants must check with their respective Colleges on whether and how they can be exempt.
- Before applying for the program of study, applicants are strongly advised to seek guidance from the Division Coordinator in of their language program to be informed about the program and inquire about the credit transfer procedure.
- Please note that the Winthrop-King Institute’s role is limited in governing the scholarship application process and disbursing the scholarship funds to the winners through the Financial Aid or Payroll offices. Information and processes on how to transfer credits and/or whether they are transferable is the responsibility of the applicant. The Winthrop-King Institute will not assist in transferring credits. It is the student's responsibility to inquire about this and seek advice on how to transfer credits from the program coordinator of the language they are applying for.
HOW TO APPLY
- Visit the FS4U website at
- Sign in using the button in the upper right corner
- Complete the General Application and the College of Arts and Sciences Application
- After submitting both applications, please access the below link for the enhancement scholarship and submit your application:
The deadline to submit your application is October 10, 2019
If you have any questions about Winthrop-King awards, undergraduates should address these in the first instance to firstname.lastname@example.org.